Are you curious about Bonito MS Brazil's new and unique places?
Then Refugio da Barra is a must see for you! It is the newest swim area in Bonito and happens to be right on one of Formoso River's most transparent spots!
It is at a great location - no more than 17 km from downtown Bonito, and has a chill, relaxing vibe, because the cap on the number of people is low. Different from the other swim areas, where the numbers can get up to 500, 700, or even 100 people in high season days, Refugio da Barra is always limited to 80 people. This guarantees you a relaxing place to play and have fun without large crowds or too much noise. Just nature.
When looking for translations for the Brazilian word "balneário", the word most commonly found is "balneary". This is not the same thing. Balnearies in English refer to things like old time bath houses. Balneários in Brazilian Portuguese are natural swim areas, usually out in the open, like at the beach or by a river or lake. That is the reason H2O has chosen to call these types of activities in Bonito "Swim Areas". It seems to be more accurate. They are just fun places for swimming, playing, and relaxing.
As for Refugio da Barra itself, the word "refugio" is used here in its "haven" context or definition, while "barra" most often refers to the sand banks that form when rivers meet other rivers or bodies of water, confluence. In this case, "barra" is used to refer to the specific confluence itself, where Sucuri River - one of the most transparent in the world - flows into Formoso River - Bonito's largest and most important river. This confluence is only a few meters upstream from the swimming spot.
So, Refugio da Barra in English is something like: "the haven by the confluence".
- When you arrive, hand your voucher over to the staff
- Pay attention to the instructions on where you are allowed to hang out and how the restaurant works
- Once inside, you are free to enjoy how much ever time you would like
- The activity itself has no set duration, but there are business hours that must be respected
- Refugio da Barra, like all other activities in Bonito MS Brazil, requires an oficial Bonito Voucher for entrance. Bonito Vouchers can only be purchased from the local tour agencies in town.
- H2O Ecoturismo e Eventos' voucher can be purchased right here on the website so that it will be waiting for you when you arrive at your hotel in Bonito.
- Working Hours: Everyday from 8 am thru 5 pm, subject to change due to Daylight Savings Time or local logistical situations.
- Depending on the transport service hired, your period of stay may be limited; Be sure to request your schedule's details.
- Bathrooms and changing rooms
- Grass area
- Volleyball area
- Docks on Formoso River
- Light clothes
- Insect repellent
- Sun lotion
- Cash for general expenses
- Food or drinks cannot be brought in from other places
This activity is great for all ages
Not included, talk to us about including it
Not included. You can purchase it at the restaurant. Talk to us about special prices and conditions for groups of 15 or more people.
Around 17 km, not paved