Snorkeling is the main thing to do in Bonito MS Brazil, no doubt! The rivers are so transparent, that they are well known all around the world! One of them, Sucuri River, is considered one of the most transparent in the world. When you snorkel at Barra do Sucuri, you will sometimes feel as if you were flying, because the water is clear, it can seem invisible!
Brazilian Portuguese sometimes uses the word barra to refer to the sand banks that form when rivers flow into the ocean. In the name Barra do Sucuri, the word is used to describe the fact that the area includes the place where Sucuri River flows into Formoso River, one of the largest in Bonito MS Brazil's are. Sucuri means anaconda and the river was named this way, because looking from up high, the shape and color resemble a snake.
- When you arrive, be sure to hand your voucher over to the person who comes to greet you;
- Pay attention to the directions about time and group organization, since there are never more than 9 people at once;
- At the activity's time, the guide will get the group together to give more directions and hand out the included equipment: Wetsuit, mask, snorkel, and shoes;
- The group can use the changing rooms to get ready and leave personal belongings in the available lockers;
- Once everyone is ready and geared up, the guide will lead the group down the short trail that ends where Sucuri River meets Formoso River;
- At this point, it is possible to see just how clear Formoso River is and also how Sucuri River is able to surpass it, being even more transparent;
- The guide then explains how to use the snorkeling equipment and everyone has a chance to practice a little;
- When the group is ready, the guide helps each person get onto the row boat;
- Everyone rows as the group make its way about 1000 meters upstream on Sucuri River;
- When the predetermined spot is reached, one by one, people get off the boat to snorkel, letting the light current take you back to the starting point;
- The guide stays on the boat, providing information about the nature in the area and offering support to those who may need it;
- Once the group is done snorkeling, everyone walks the short trail back to the changing rooms area to return the equipment;
- Lunch, when included, may be before or after activity, depending on the scheduled time;
*This whole operation usually lasts around 3 hours, but it may vary due to weather conditions and/or specific group needs;
- Changing rooms with showers;
- Lockers to be used by the snorkeling groups;
- Formoso River access for free play;
- Beach volleyball;
WHAT TO BRING:
- Underwater camera;
- Cash for general expenses;
- Insect repellent and sun lotion (Even though they are not allowed while snorkeling in itself, you may want them during your time at the main areas, before and/or after snorkeling)
AGES: This activity is good for all ages. Very small children may have to stay on the boat instead of snorkeling in the water.
PRICE: Per person
TRANSPORTATION: Not included, talk to us about including it
LUNCH: Not included, talk to us about including it
DISTANCE FROM DOWNTOWN BONITO: Around 17 km, not paved
Bonito activity prices are set by the attractions themselves and strictly controlled, equal at all agencies. Variations may happen because of rates expiration dates and/or differences between low and high season rates.