So, what makes an activity deserve the word "mysterious" in its name? What is the mystery?
In the case of Lagoa Misteriosa (Mysterious Lake or Lagoon) in Jardim (Bonito area) MS Brazil, the big mystery is the depth. It is over 220 meters deep! How much over? Nobody knows. It is a mystery. The lake's depth is the reason it deserves its name.
But, about the activity itself...
Snorkeling at Lagoa Misteriosa (Mysterious Lake or Lagoon) surely is one of the most unique experiences in the world. The water is so clear, that it feels like you are flying. So clear, that it even gets a blue-ish tone. It is also one of the few snorkeling options around Bonito MS Brazil where visitors are free to do apneia diving, kick their legs and enjoy the water in a more relaxed and fun way.
Another trait that make Lagoa Misteriosa unique is that it does not provide wetsuits. Because the water is always around 24 degrees Celsius, people do this activity in just their swimwear. The mask and the snorkel are provided and of good quality and clean, in compliance with Bonito standards.
Something very specific and important to those who would like to snorkel at Lagoa Misteriosa is the fact that its operation is limited during the warm months. The restriction includes snorkeling. So, snorkeling at Lagoa Misteriosa is only possible in the cooler part of the year. Usually the operation opens around April and goes thru August, but it may vary due to weather conditions. This means that before you count on doing this activity, you should talk to our staff and check on its operational status.
- Go to Rio da Prata's front desk and show your Lagoa Misteriosa voucher;
- Pay attention to the directions on how to get to Lagoa Misteriosa's front desk and its operation;
- Once at Lagoa Misteriosa's front desk, hand your voucher over to the staff and received your mask and snorkel from them;
- The bathrooms can be used for changing clothes and, when everyone is ready, the instructor will lead the group down the 600-meter trail that goes into the valley, making a stop at the overlook;
- The Lagoa Misteriosa access is down the 180-step staircase;
- At the access dock, the instructor explains the activity, the location and helps anyone who needs assistance with the snorkeling gear;
- Based on the instructions, people can get in the water and the snorkeling begins;
- The areas visited and the activity's pace depend on the day's logistics, the visitors' comfort levels and on how the process is flowing;
- This is the time to look around and be in awe with the blue waters, look down into the mysterious infinity, and enjoy the sensations from feeling like you are flying;
- When it is time to end, the instructor will let people know and help those who need out of the water;
- Once everyone is back on the docks, it is time ti walk up the 180 steps to the trail that leads back to the front desk area;
- At the front desk area, the bathrooms can be used for changing and everyone is free to leave or get back to Rio da Prata's area;
*The operation usually takes about 1 hour and 30 minutes, but that can vary due to weather conditions and/or group needs;
*Rio da Prata is at the same farm and offers a restaurant, hammocks, shop with both Lagoa Misteriosa and Rio da Prata souvenirs, and bathrooms with electric showers.
- Tennis shoes or boots, mandatory due to the staircase
- Insect repellent
- Sun lotion
This activity is for people between 8 and 65 years old.
*The restriction for the top limit, 65 years of age, is the staircase. This means that people older than 65 who are capable and willing to overcome the 180 steps can be evaluated and possibly cleared to do the activity.
**The instructors have the authority to keep anyone from participating if they feel like the group's safety could be compromised.
Snorkeling and diving masks need direct contact with the skin in order to seal properly. Hoping to ensure this happens, we suggest shaving on the days when you will be doing these activities.
Not included, talk to our staff about including it
Not included, talk to our staff about including lunch at Rio da Prata, which is at the same farm and therefore shares the restaurant
- Scuba diving at Lagoa Misteriosa
- Snorkeling at Rio da Prata
- Scuba diving at Rio da Prata
- Horse riding at Rio da Prata
Around 50 km, out of which 15 are not paved (There is a longer way, around 50 km more, that is completely paved)