Bonito and Jardim MS Brazil have numerous transparent rivers in their area. Many of them are famous and Rio da Prata is one of those. It is one of the largest and home to a wide variety of fish.
Snorkeling at Rio da Prata was one of the first Bonito activities to become a professional, comercial business. As result, it is one of the more well-known and traditional things to do in the area. The nature present in the area is like those of the other options: Crystal clear waters, many types of fish and a strong, healthy forest surrounding the river.
What makes Rio da Prata special is its depth. Because it is larger and deeper, it is sometimes possible to scuba dive in some parts of it. Scuba diving can go as deep as 6 meters down, if the river conditions allow.
Scuba diving at Rio da Prata is great for beginners seeking their baptism dive, because the river itself does not allow for more than 6 or 8 meters in depth and the staff is used to people with no experience. The equipment provided is top of the line and the underwater views are unmatched, making it also impressive for certified and well-traveled divers.
- When you arrive at the front desk, hand your voucher to the staff;
- Pay attention to the information on group organization and times;
- When it is time to start, the instructor will gather the group to provide more information and the initial equipment: Wet suits, shoes and mark;
- The group may use the restrooms to change and leave belongings safely in their own vehicles;
- When everyone is ready, the farm's safari car will take the group from the main areas to the spot where the activity actually begins, on the river bed;
- Upon arrival at the river, there will be an electric boat to take visitors and diving instructors to the diving spot;
- During this stretch, the diving instructors go ahead and provide more information and directions for the activity;
- Once everyone is at the diving dock, the instructors help visitors with equipment and guide the activity;
- Within each person's comfort level and with the instructors' direct assistance, each visitor gets in the water and begins the dive;
- Once the whole group is equipped and ready, the group goes downstream with help from the light current and total supervision from the instructor staff;
- Rio da Prata follows the 1 instructor per no more than 2 visitors in the group;
- Along the river, visitors look in all directions and are in awe due to the transparent waters and several types of fish;
- One at the final docks, the instructors guide and help everyone out of the water;
- For a few moments, visitors may take their wetsuits off and swim in just their swimwear for a bit;
- When everyone is ready, the safari car will take the group back to the main areas;
- At the main areas, the group is free to change in the bathrooms and return the equipment;
- Lunch, when included, could be before or after the dive, depending on the time it was scheduled;
*This whole process usually takes about 1 hour and 40 minutes, but it could vary due to weather conditions and/or specific group needs;
- Bathrooms with showers
- Souvenirs shop
WHAT TO BRING:
- Underwater camera
- Cash for general expenses
- Insect repellent and sun lotion (Even though they are not allowed while snorkeling in itself, you may want them during your time at the main areas, before and/or after snorkeling)
AGES: This activity is for people who are older than 10 years old.
BEARDS AND MUSTACHES: Diving and snorkeling masks should be in direct contact with the skin in order to seal properly. Hoping to ensure that this happens, we suggest shaving on the days when you have these kinds of activities scheduled.
PRICE: Per person
TRANSPORTATION: Not included, talk to us about including it
LUNCH: Not included, talk to us about including it
OTHER ACTIVITIES AT THE SAME LOCATION:
- Rio da Prata horse riding
- Snorkeling at Rio da Prata
- Snorkeling at Lagoa Misteriosa (Mysterious Lagoon)
- Scuba diving at Lagoa Misteriosa (Beginners, basic, or advanced, based on each person's credentials)
When weather conditions allow, it is possible to join the snorkeling and scuba diving activities. Because most of the snorkeling at Rio da Prata activity actually happens in Olho d'Água river, a tributary, it is possible to snorkel normally with the snorkeling group and, when it is time to go into Rio da Prata itself, meet up with the diving staff to switch activities for this last part. To do this, full price must be paid for each activity (Snorkeling and scuba diving) and confirmed reservations in compatible times are required for both. Talk to our staff so that you have all of the support needed in this process and decision!
DISTANCE FROM DOWNTOWN BONITO: Around 50 km, out of which 15 are not paved (There is a longer way, around 50 km more, that is completely paved)
Bonito activity prices are set by the attractions themselves and strictly controlled, equal at all agencies. Variations may happen because of rates expiration dates and/or differences between low and high season rates.